Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Creative Flare of Coal Miner’s Daughter


Coal Miner’s Daughter is a lovely gem of a boutique with two locations in Toronto. Founded by Janine Cockburn-Haller and Krysten Caddy, the shops feature their own clothing and jewelry designs and showcase up-and-coming designers from across Canada. Each store carries a variety of unique items, so be sure to check out both!

Below, Krysten answers some questions for Art of Fashion.

AoF: What inspired you to create Coal Miner's Daughter?

Krysten: Janine and I are both designers, so we wanted to start something where we could showcase our own work and also find other designers out there, like us, who were looking for new spaces to show their work. Since our start in 2009, we have grown and been able to pick up a lot of new designers, so I feel like we're well on our way toward our goal of supporting Canadian fashion. T

AoF: What’s the significance of the company name?

Krysten: The CMD name speaks to the creativity and resourcefulness involved in the design and creation process. Janine and I are both known to re-use vintage materials in our work from time to time, so we felt that also spoke to our CMD name.


AoF: Who are your current favourite Canadian designers?

Krysten: It's really tough to choose favourites. There are so many talented Canadian designers out there right now and they all have their own special something. If I had to choose right at this very moment, I would have to say I'm loving Eve Gravel and Valerie Dumaine from Montreal, Shoshanah Kuper and Sara Duke from Toronto, and my personal favourite, Janine's label Clementine & Tweed.

Aof: Can you describe the aesthetic of your own jewelry and clothing creations?

Krysten: The CMD jewellery brand is very focused on delicate and elegant style with a timeless aesthetic. It's pretty and feminine and great for everyday. I like to design pieces that are comfortable to wear and highlight the stones and pearls I use. I'm drawn to stones with unique qualities so a lot of what I do is very few or one of a kind. For example, for fall I've released a collection of two-toned silver and agate slice pendants where no two are alike.

The Clementine & Tweed clothing line (designed by 
Janine Cockburn-Haller) has a strong focus on practical, feminine clothes. I love making things that anyone can wear and feel beautiful in. My pieces range from flowy, comfortable tops to drop-dead sexy dresses, but everything has a little twist that sets it apart. I take a lot of inspiration from vintage cuts and shapes, while adding a modern element with the fabric and print.


Coal Miner’s Daughter
587 Markham Street, Toronto
and
744 Queen Street West, Toronto
http://www.coalminersdaughter.ca

Jasmin is a freelance writer currently based in Kingston, ON. 

No comments:

Post a Comment